The Newsroom

Never have I seen such heartwarming TV series that keep bringing up political issues, which is, really, hardly ever heartwarming in my dictionary.

The Newsroom (2012), is a TV series about a broadcasting news team, working in independent cable TV station who changes their way of delivering the news. This is started when the second most watched news anchor, Will McAvoy (Jeff Daniels), was forced to work with the new team because his old team was migrating to 10 o'clock slot.

The whole news format that was once a rating-whore show, drastically stirred their direction to producing-facts-only format and purely letting the viewers have more options in watching fact-confirmed, independent and honest news. Hmm, that was what I felt about Metro TV long long long time ago, back when they first showed up in my screen.

It was a crazy ride, I'm telling you. I cried, I laughed, I spilled on my drinks, I dreamt about it, I had me some wistful thinking, ohmygodifreakinlovethisseries! And whaddya know, once I finished the whole first season (which consists of 10 episodes) I googled it and voila... 8.7 out of 10 score on imdb. NO WONDER I WAS BLOWN AWAY! Duh!

It got my attention solely because in the first 10 minutes of its first episode, they served me with this dialogue.

A student: Can you say in one sentence or less.. Um, you know what I mean.. Can you say why America is the greatest country in the world?

Candidate1: Diversity and opportunity.

Candidate2: Freedom and freedom. *pause* So let's keep it that way. *round of applause*

Will McAvoy: The New York Jets. *laughter*

MC: No, I'm gonna hold you to an answer on that.

Will McAvoy: Well, our Constitution is a masterpiece. James Madison was a genius.The Declaration of Independence is, for me, the single greatest piece of American writing. *pause* You don't look satisfied.

MC: One's a set of laws and the other's a declaration of war. I want a human moment from you. What about the people? Why is America--

Will McAvoy: It's not the greatest country in the world, Professor. That's my answer.

...

And yeah, you, sorority girl. Just in case you accidentally wander into a voting booth one day, there are some things you should know, and one of them is there is absolutely no evidence to support the statement that we're the greatest country in the world.
We're seventh in literacy, 27th in math, 22nd in science, 49th in life expectancy, 178th in infant mortality, third in median household income, number four in labor force, and number four in exports. We lead the world in only three categories: Number of incarcerated citizens per capita, number of adults who believe angels are real, and defense-spending where we spend more than the next 26 countries combined, 25 of whom are allies.
Now, none of this is the fault of a 20-year-old college student, but you nonetheless are without a doubt a member of the worst period generation period ever period. So when you ask what makes us the greatest country in the world, I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE FUCK YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!

... aaaand I'm sold!

To add the spice into my already heaven-like drug, it casts me some pretty amazing (and yeah, good looks doesn't hurt) actors and actresses including DEV PATEL, YAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!

Worry not, the second reason why I love this series is because they balance the seriousness of political issues with sweet and sometimes moronic crew drama. I love the drama! I love the drama because the drama is not too drama for me. In fact, I love it because it's not beyond cheesy, it felt real and I can actually relate on that. Hahahaha.

One of my favorite quote was when an associate producer yelled at Sex&The City tour bus after being in a very low point just minutes before.

Tour Guide: To the left is the famous brownstone where Carrie Bradshaw lived, loved, and lost. Thanks to Carrie, we all got to live the typical life of a single woman in New York City. Cheers!

Are you fucking kidding me?! I AM a typical single woman in New York City! I don't wear heels to work because the typical woman's job doesn't exclusively involve gallery openings! And I know Carrie must have made boatloads writing her 800-word column for a newspaper no one's ever heard of, but I just spent my last $7 ... having a fight with my best friend ... who, by the way, is not available at 3:00 p.m. on a Wednesday to console me about some guy, because SHE, TOO, HAS A JOB! And mostly, when you fall for a guy and he's going out with your best friend, it doesn't work out. Things get really BAD!

~how appropriate..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ayam Suwe

Weird

Years we have had